Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Getting Started...

Hi, I'm Chris.  I am a man in my early forties with a successful career in the investment industry.  I have been married to my lovely wife for 20 years and we have three kids, the oldest of which is off for his first year of college in Montana.  I live a comfortable life in the suburbs of Seattle.  Like so many people in the US, I need to lose a few pound.  OK, maybe I need to lose a few more than a few...   I was in shape when I was in college, but with marriage, kids, and career, it kind of slipped away over time.

In the past couple of years I have taken up some various shooting sports.  While these events primarily involve a stationary position to shoot, the positions vary and I find myself sore after these events.  I have been wanting to lose weight and get in shape to make these events more enjoyable.  I also  have been thinking quite a bit about my desire to travel and see different parts of the world.  I would like to get into better shape, so I will have the energy and stamina to explore these places.  I don't want to be limited by my level of fitness.  I want to be able walk a few miles around London and Paris, a castle in Germany, along the Great Wall of China, or any other place my travels might take me and my family.

I have tried various diets and had my stints at the gym, but have only ever lost a few pounds here and there only to gain it back.  Over the last few months I have been trying to eat better and have managed to lose 17 pounds, which is about where I usually get stuck and fall of the bandwagon.  The weight has been stagnant for a while.  I gained a few pounds over the holidays and have managed to lose them again.  I need to add some exercise to the mix to keep it going with the weight loss and to start building my level of fitness.  When I was younger, enjoyed bicycling.  Bicycling is easier on the joints than running and I know I enjoy it.  I purchased a "comfort" bike a few years ago that is collecting dust, but should provide a great way to get back into cycling.  The comfort bike has suspension to smooth out the ride and a soft comfy saddle and grips to minimize the pains of riding.

I am exploring a few charity bicycle rides in the Seattle area to give myself a goal, something to work towards.  My wife says she will ride with me too.  She does work out every week and would like to start running, but she said she would ride to be with me.  Isn't that sweet?

The Goals:  1.) Lose weight 75 lbs. +
                    2.) Get in better shape

The Means:  1.) Eating Better
                     2.) Bicycling and other exercises

Let the journey begin....

Chris

The Fine Print: I reserve the right to exaggerate and/or have selective memory regarding all past events. ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment